Indian Transplant Newsletter. Vol.22 Issue No.67, November 2022 - February2023
Workshop On Improving Living Donation
Indian Transplant Newsletter.
Vol.22 Issue No.67
November 2022 - February2023
Print ISSN 0972 - 1568
A workshop on ‘Improving Living Donation’ was conducted by MOHAN Foundation on February 12, 2023, at Abu Sarovar Portico Hotel in Chennai. This Advanced Transplant Coordinators' workshop was supported by the SBI Foundation and SBI Card. A total of 33 delegates from India and abroad attended the workshop. The meeting had discussions on the following topics:
- Use of social media to improve donations
- Special judgements on living donations
- Non-directed altruistic donation
Faculty for the workshop included experts from Kerala, Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu, Telangana and Gujarat and some were connected via virtual platform. The learnings from the workshop included the following:
- Social media shall be used positively to improve living donations. While other countries have witnessed success stories and have had long domino transplant chains, the transplant law in India is silent about the use of social media to solicit organs for transplant. The transplant societies in India shall outline guidelines for facilitating living organ donations using social media.
- Most of the judgements with regard to living donations, support organ failure patients and the judgements are given in favour of the donation and transplant. (Ministry of health and family welfare, Govt. of India issued an order to remove the condition for requirements of domicile certificate for registration of patients requiring deceased donor organ for their transplant)
- There have been many recent cases of individuals coming forward to donate their organs altruistically while they are alive. To make non-directed donations possible, India needs an exclusive altruistic donor registry as well as allocation guidelines for distributing such organs.
- Copyright © 2023. Published by MOHAN Foundation
- Keywords: Workshop on improving living donation, MOHAN Foundation, SBI Foundation, SBI Card, transplant coordinators, social media, living donations, special judgments, non-directed altruistic donation